49.6% of the total population of the world is women. So without them, the world can’t be moved. The world needs them as many as males to develop the human race. The process that ensures women’s equality is called Women Empowerment. In this post, I have selected 40 women empowerment quotes from 20 most powerful women in the world in 2019 so you can understand their views on women’s rights.
But before digging into deep, let’s clear about the meaning of women empowerment.
The movement that focuses on respect, honor, and recognition toward all the women in the world. It can be defined more straightway – when you accept and allow them to decision-making in every form of life. It can be social, economic, family, and educational, in one word everywhere.
To raise the current status of women through training, education, raising awareness, and literacy is also included in women empowerment. If women empowerment is ensured in society, life will be changed, society will be changed.
Here is the list of top 25 most powerful women in the world in 2019:
- Angela Merkel
- Christine Lagarde
- Nancy Pelosi
- Ursula von der Leyen
- Mary Barra
- Melinda Gates
- Abigail Johnson
- Ana Patricia Botin
- Ginni Rometty
- Marillyn Hewson
- Gail Boudreaux
- Susan Wojcicki
- Isabelle Kocher
- Safra A. Catz
- Kristalina Georgieva
- Julie Sweet
- Emma Walmsley
- Sheryl Sandberg
- Ruth Porat
- Oprah Winfrey
- Judith McKenna
- Jessica Tan
- Ho Ching
- Phebe Novakovic
- Amy Hood
Women Empowerment Quotes from 20 Most Powerful Women
Now take a look upon the women empowerment quotes from the most powerful women in the world.
Angela Merkel was born in 1954, in Hamburg, West Germany. She was educated at Karl Marx University, Leipzig in physics from 1973 to 1978. After completing her study there, she worked and studied at the Central Institute for Physical Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences in Berlin-Adlershof from 1978 to 1990. She awarded her doctorate for the thesis on quantum chemistry in 1986.
Her political journey started in 1989 joining the new party Democratic Awakening. The majority of delegates (397 to 217) supported her and she elected as Chancellor on 22 November 2005. Her party won the election continuously in 2009, 2013 and 2017.
In personal life, she married physics student Ulrich Merkel. But unfortunately, their marriage didn’t last long. They ended their relation in divorce in 1982. Her current husband, Joachim Sauer is a quantum chemist and professor. They have no children, but Sauer has two adult sons from a previous marriage.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Angela Merkel
- “I still believe in the old fashioned ways of showing a woman Respect and Honor!”
- “I would want them to decide to have babies. But every woman has to make her own choices.”
Christine Lagarde was born in Paris in 1956. She completed her high school in Le Havre and attended Holton Arms School in Bethesda, Maryland, United States. She graduated from law school at University Paris X and obtained a Master’s degree from the Political Science Institute in Aix-en-Provence.
She was the first woman serving as France’s finance minister from 2007-2011. She also served as managing director of the International Monetary Fund from 2011-2019. And she is the first woman who is currently assuming as the president of the European Central Bank from 2019. She is married and a mother of two sons.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Christine Lagarde
- “Think about it. Women control 70 percent of global consumer spending . . . when women do better, economies do better.”
- “Women, as the minority, have to prove their worth all the time. That’s the reason we tend to over-prepare, over-study, over-anticipate. I think it’s the case with many women leaders. We tend to overdo it.”
Nancy Pelosi was born in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 1940. She graduated in 1962 from Trinity College in Washington, D.C. She attached with politics slowly, starting out as a volunteer for the Democratic Party.
In 2002, she was selected as the Democratic leader of the House of Representatives and that’s make her the first woman in history. Four years later, in the 2006 midterm elections, she was selected to take the post of speaker of the House. Again in 2019, she started her third term as Speaker. In 2019, she initiated the fourth-ever impeachment proceedings in U.S. history against President Donald Trump.
She married Paul Pelosi who was her collage mate. They have five children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Nancy Pelosi
- “Women are leaders everywhere you look – from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.”
- “I went to all-girls schools my whole life, so every model of leadership that I saw was a young girl or a woman, and so there was never any hesitation that women could lead. I know what I believe.”
Ursula von der Leyen was born in October 8, 1958 in Brussels, Belgium. She studied in economics from 1977 to 1980 at the Universities of Göttingen and Münster as well as at the London School of Economics but never graduated. Instead she went into medicine and graduated in 1987 from Hanover Medical School (MHH).
She was the first woman who served as Germany’s minister of defense (2013–19). After that, in July 2019, she became the first woman to be elected president of the European Commission.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Ursula von der Leyen
- “200 million girls and women worldwide have suffered from Female Genital Mutilation, including 1/2 million in Europe. No custom, tradition, culture or religion justifies this dangerous and barbaric act. This severe human rights violation must end. Enough is enough!”
- “Violence against girls and women is a massive human rights violation in its most devastating form. We must put an end to all kinds of abuse to reach equality & peace and protect the human rights of millions of women and girls.”
Mary Barra is the CEO of General Motors (GM) automobile company. She is the first woman in history who achieve the head one of the “Big Three” American automakers. She graduated from the GMI Engineering and Management Institute (later Kettering University), Flint, Mich in 1985 with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering.
In 1999 she was appointed as GM’s general director of internal communications for North America. After four years, in 2003 she upgraded to the manager of an auto-assembly plant in Hamtramc. She was appointed as CEO of General Motors in 2014.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Mary Barra
- “The biggest message I have for young women is, don’t start cutting off branches of your career tree unnecessarily early. Sometimes women say, I know I want to have a family or play in the local symphony, and they start pulling themselves out of their career path. You don’t have to take yourself out of the running before you even start.”
- “I never want to get a job because I’m female. I want to get it because I earned it and I deserve it… Whether my hair is going to be blue or purple, people should be judged on how well they do the job and deliver results and whether they do it the right way. That’s how I like to be judged; most people are like that.”
Melinda Gates was born on August 15, 1964, in Dallas, Texas. She studied in computer science and got bachelor’s degree from Duke University in 1986. Her master’s degree in business administration from Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business.
After finished her study, in 1987, she took a job at Microsoft Corporation. Few years later, in 1994, she got married with her boss, Bill Gates. That year, they formed a foundation what was later to become the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. They have three children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Melinda Gates
- “My hope for the next decade: Women will increasingly be the ones making decisions, controlling resources, shaping perspectives, and solving our collective challenges.”
- “Nearly three years ago, I wrote about the power women have when we come together. Today, women are still demanding progress—but here’s what’s changed: The world is finally listening.”
Abigail Pierrepont Johnson was born in December 19, 1961. She achieved her MBA from Harvard in 1988 and joined their family company ‘Fidelity’ as an analyst.
Since 2014, she has been assuming as president and chief executive officer of American investment firm Fidelity Investments (FMR), and chairman of its international sister company Fidelity International (FIL). Fidelity was founded by her grandfather Edward C. Johnson II founded the ‘Fidelity’ company.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Abigail Johnson
- “Across the board, women are unhappy with our industry.”
- “At the end of the day, you know yourself best.”
Ana Patricia Botin was born in 4 October, 1960. She studied at St Mary’s School, Ascot and graduated in economics from Bryn Mawr College.
Her father, Emilio Botin was also a Spanish banker and was the executive chairman of Spain’s Grupo Santander and Paloma O’Shea. She was appointed as executive chairman of Santander Group on 10 September 2014. Beside this, she was serving as the CEO of Santander UK from December 2010.
She married a fellow banker, named Guillermo Morenés y Mariátegui in 1983. They have three son.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Ana Patricia Botin
- “Other things equal, we should give a chance to women. That’s what I try to do.”
- “I consider myself to be quite persuasive when I want.”
Ginni Rometty was born on July 29, 1957, in Chicago, Illinois. She received a bachelor’s degree in computer science and electrical engineering from Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science at Northwestern University in 1979. In 2014, She got an honorary doctoral degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
She started her carrier as a system engineer in 1981. She is a former chairman, president, and CEO of IBM, and was the first woman to head the company.
She got married in 1979. Her husband, Mark Anthony Rometty a private-equity investor. They don’t have children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Ginni Rometty
- “Ask yourself when you learn the most. I guarantee it’s when you felt at risk.”
- “So what it means is when you don’t believe in the inevitable, it means you don’t expect that that’s how things have to turn out. You can change them.”
Marillyn Adams Hewson was born on December 27, 1953. She studied Bachelor of Science in business administration and Master of Arts in economics from the University of Alabama.
In 1983, She joined the Lockheed Corporation. Gradually she was appointed as the chairman, president and chief executive officer of Lockheed Martin.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Marillyn Hewson
- “If you look at the pipeline of women moving up through the organisation, it’s a matter of time and experience that they develop and performance that allows them to move into senior levels.”
- “I do work hard, but I have a passion for work. That’s just who I am.”
Susan Diane Wojcicki was born on July 5, 1968. She graduated in history and literature from Harvard University in 1990 and received her Master’s of Science in economics from the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1993. Beside this, in 1998, she got another master’s degree Master of Business Administration from the UCLA Anderson School of Management.
Before youtube, she worked in marketing at Intel Corporation in Santa Clara, California. In February 2014, she became the CEO of YouTube.
She married Dennis Troper on August 23, 1998, in Belmont, California. They have five children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Susan Wojcicki
- “Many women assume they can’t be good mothers and have challenging careers at the same time, so they might give up trying to do both as they get to a crucial point in their career. Although it can be hard at times, it’s important for women to recognize the benefits of working outside the home.”
- “Though we do need more women to graduate with technical degrees, I always like to remind women that you don’t need to have science or technology degrees to build a career in tech.”
Isabelle Kocher was born on 9 December 1966. She is the chief executive officer of Engie (previously GDF Suez). She got her bachelor degree from the École normale supérieure in Paris in 1987 and Mines ParisTech engineering school. Her master’s degree was in quantum optics. And also a postgraduate certificate in physics.
From 1997 to 1999, she was the director of the postal and telecommunication budgets. Between 1999 and 2002, she worked as industrial affairs advisor at French prime minister Lionel Jospin office. In 2002, she joined the Suez company. In 2014, she was seated as deputy CEO and Chief Operating Officer. She began to serve as CEO from 2016.
Kocher is married and they have five children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Isabelle Kocher
- “Women too often say to themselves, ‘It’s too difficult. I’m not going to get there.’ I tell them: ‘Listen: do not question your abilities. Dare to do what you want to do and realize that you can do it.’”
“I have received so many letters, messages, emails, testimonies of women whom I meet in international conferences, wherever it may be, who tell me, It’s great that you have balanced life and work so successfully. I now think I have underestimated that, the ‘role model’ aspect of my life, I must say.”
Safra A. Catz was born on December 1, 1961 in Holon, Israel. She took a bachelor’s degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1983 and a Jurish Doctor degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1986.
She joined at Oracle Corporation as an executive since April 1999. In 2001 she achieved board member position. She served as co-President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) from 2011 to 2014. Oracle announced her as CEO in 2014.
She married to Gal Tirosh. They have two sons.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Safra A. Catz
- “My greatest inspiration is my mother, the bravest person I ever knew. She overcame incredible odds, worked while raising two kids, and made it all look incredibly simple. Even in her final days succumbing to cancer, she fought like a champion.”
“Hopefully in the future, generational challenges will be measured by achievement, not gender.”
Kristalina Georgieva was born on 13 August 1953. She got MA degree in Political Economy and Sociology from Karl Marx Higher Institute of Economics in Sofia and PhD degree in Economics from same Institute. She earned her post-graduate research and studies in natural resource economics from the London School of Economics in the late 1980s and environmental policy from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
She started her career in 1993 as an environmental economist for Europe and Central Asia in the World Bank Group. She served there in a number of positions till 2010. She has been serving as the managing director of the International Monetary Fund since October 2019.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Kristalina Georgieva
- “Tackling global #Inequality requires a rethink. The good news is we have the tools to do it—provided we have the will to do it!”
“If women have equal opportunities to reach their full potential, the world would not only be fairer, it would be more prosperous as well.”
Julie Sweet is an American business executive. She graduated from Claremont McKenna College. She started her carrier as an attorney at law firm, named Cravath, Swaine & Moore. She worked there for 10 years.
In 2010, she was appointed as general counsel in Accenture, a multinational professional services company and five years later, she became the CEO of Accenture’s North America business. Accenture proudly announced her name as CEO of the company in 2019.
She is married and has two daughters.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Julie Sweet
- “What you want is to have women at the same pace as men doing tech immersion. It’s not that every woman has to do it, but to close the gap, you need to have them do it at the same pace as men.”
“If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough.”
Sandberg Born was born in 1969 in Washington, D.C. She undergraduated from Harvard University in Economics. After graduating in 1991, she became a research assistant for Summers. She worked there for two years and then again enrolled at Harvard Bussiness School where she attained her M.B.A. in 1995. After that, she took her career with the World Bank.
In 2001, she joined to Google and worked there as a vice president of global online sales and operations till 2008. In March 2008, she connected her career with Facebook as the company’s chief operating officer.
She married businessman Brian Kraff in 1993. After one year, the got divorced. In 2004, she married a Yahoo! executive, named Dave Goldberg. They have two children together. But unfortunately Dave died suddenly in 2015. Eventually Sandberg found love again in the heart of Tom Bernthal, founder of a Los Angeles-based marketing research and brand consulting agency. She announced their engagement in February 2020.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Sheryl Sandberg
- “Women still have two jobs in the most developed countries around the world; men have one. From the moment they leave school, the messages for women are different: Don’t you want to have kids one day?”
“As a woman becomes more successful, she is less liked, and as a man becomes more successful, he is more liked, and that starts with those T-shirts.”
Ruth Porat was born in 1957 in Sale, Cheshire, England. She got bachelor of arts degree in economics and international relations from Stanford University and master’s degree in industrial relations from London School of Economics. She has an MBA with distinction from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1987, she started her career at Morgan Stanley till 1993. She worked in Investment Banking as Vice Chairman from September 2003 to December 2009 and from September 2006 through December 2009, she served as Global Head of the Financial Institutions Group. On May 26, 2015 she started to work in Google as CFO.
She married to Anthony Paduano.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Ruth Porat
- “One of the biggest problems women have is they work really hard and put their heads down and assume hard work gets noticed. And hard work for the wrong boss does not get noticed. Hard work for the wrong boss results in one thing – that boss looks terrific, and you get stuck.”
“Stick to your true north – build greatness for the long term.”
Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in a rural town of Kosciusko, Mississippi. In 1971, she entered Tennessee State University and began working in radio and television broadcasting in Nashville. She moved to Baltimore, Maryland in 1976 to host the TV chat show, named People Are Talking. In 1986, she started her new show ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’ that ran for 25 years until 2011.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Oprah Winfrey
- “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.”
“Every time you state what you want or believe, you’re the first to hear it. It’s a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don’t put a ceiling on yourself.”
Judith McKenna was born in Middlesbrough, England, in 1966. She got her law degree from University of Hull.
In 1996, she started her career from KPMG. In 2001, She became chief financial officer of Asda till 2011. She joined Walmart U.S. as chief operating officer in 2014. She became the president and CEO of Walmart in February 2018.
She married to former finance director of Punch Taverns, Phil Dutton. They have two children.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Judith McKenna
- “My philosophy has always been to do the job I do to the very best of my ability and to be myself within it.”
“You can’t make good decisions without knowing the business.”
Amy Hood was born in 1971. She earned a bachelor degree in economics from Duke University in 1994 and in 1996, she got her MBA from Harvard University.
She started her carrier at Goldman Sachs and after that she joined as investor relation in Microsoft Corporation in 2002. She was appointed as Chief Financial Officer in 2013.
She married to Max Kleinman.
Women Empowerment Quotes from Amy Hood
- “You can work through most things and come out on the other side feeling like you’ve learned a good lesson and you’ll get better.”
“Every job I took, I was deeply uncomfortable in terms of feeling unqualified. Every step, every risk I took, built confidence.”
Final thoughts on women empowerment quotes
I hope, you have enjoyed reading all the ‘women empowerment quotes’ from the most influential women in the world. Have you got any motivation to develop your mental strength?
Let me know your thoughts on women empowerment quotes by commenting below. Thank you. Be mindful, be happy