Now we all celebrate the happy Valentine’s Day. We send cards, flowers, candy, and many other things to our lover. Valentine’s Day is totally related to romance. To be with someone, to be loved by someone is natural. As human beings, we all want that relationship. For all the lovers, Valentine’s Day is a special day to celebrate love-life.
But most of us don’t know the real fact of valentines background history. That’s why in this article, I have focused on the beginning of Valentine’s Day. You might be shocked if you know the valentines background history. Because it is not a happy story, rather it is a very sad story that makes you question, ‘why sometimes life is so cruel to someone?’
The full story of Valentines background history
Who was the real Valentine?
To define who was the real St. Valentine is very tough. Because several tellings about Valentine are found in the history. According to the Catholic Church, there were at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus.
- One legend says that Valentine was a citizen of Rome during Emperor Claudius II. He did not believe in pagan religion. Knowing his religious view, the king ordered him to follow paganism but he refused to convert to paganism. Then the Emperor sentenced him to death. Before his death, in the jail, he heard that the jailer’s daughter was sick and no one was able to cure her. So he told the jailer that he can cure her daughter. Miraculously he successfully did it very quickly. After that, the jailer along with his family converted to Christianity.
- Another legend says that there was a bishop during Emperor Claudius II, named Saint Valentine of Terni. He was also executed by the Emperor. And he was the true namesake of the holiday.
- The third legend is the most commonly accepted telling about St. Valentine. According to legend, this Valentine was a roman priest. He used to perform weddings as well as other religious activities. But the incident happened when the Emperor thought that married soldiers are not good warriors and not enough good for a fight. Because of his thoughts, he forbade the marriage of young people. Valentine could not accept that order. So he performed weddings secretly for young people and soldier. There was a ring with a cupid which is a symbol of love that he always wore on his neck. Because of that ring, the young couple recognized him and made their relationship comes true. To remind them of the love for God, he used a handed out paper heart. But one day the Emperor knew it and sentenced him to death. From that time, he was known as the patron saint of love.
Although there is no clear evidence about Saint Valentine, it is accepted that Valentine’s story has a connection with love and God. It encourages the two hearts to become one and pay respect for God.
The Valentines background history
Actually, Valentine’s day celebration can be divided into two parts- historical and modern.
1. Historical part: It is said that celebrating Valentine’s day is a festival of Roman. This old traditional festival is called Lupercalia. The festival started in the middle of February that is the beginning of springtime.
The festival was interesting. At first, all the young girls had to their name in a box and the young boys had to pick up one name. From that moment, that boy and girl used to celebrate as a couple during the festival. After the end of the festival, sometimes they got married if it matched them.
Later on, the church turned this festival into a Christian celebration and named it as St. Valentines to remember him. By the time being, people were gradually starting to use this name to express their feelings to their loved one.
2. Modern part: According to some historians, Roman did not celebrate the Lupercalia festival as valentine’s day. Actually, it was a non-Christian festival. At the end of the 5th century, Pope Gelasius declared 14 February as Valentine’s day to turn that pagan festival into Christianity. During middle age, in France and England, it was believed that the beginning of the bird’s mating season is in the middle of February. Later on, this idea was added with Valentine’s day to celebrate love and romance and that should be 14 February.
The first recorded celebration of love day or Valentine’s Day was in 1375 when the English poet Geoffrey Chaucer wrote a poem named ‘Parliament of Foules’ where he wrote ‘For this was sent on Seynt Valentine’s day / Whan every foul cometh ther to choose his mate.’ Some historians considered it a modern celebration of Valentine’s Day.
But the celebration of Valentine in writing or paper was not popular at that time. After the 14th century, it was used in paper gradually. At the end of the 15th century, the word ‘Valentine’ was popularly used in poems and songs. In the 18th century, there was a book published in England named ‘The Young Man Valentine’s Writer.’ And in the 19th century, using valentine’s cards was started which became more popular day by day. This is the modern Valentines background history.
The typical gifts to celebrate Valentine’s Day
Nowadays, Valentine’s day is so much popular all over the world. People celebrate it, enjoy it very eagerly. On this day, they send flowers, cards, and gifts to their loved ones. So now it is one of the highest business days in the world. Last year, only in United States of America, the amount of Valentine ’s Day sale was expected to reach approximately 20.7 billion U.S. dollars. From this statement, you can imagine how much sale goes on all over the world.
You might be looking for some valentine gift’s ideas that will perfectly match you. Before sending a gift to your loved one, of course, you should spend some time to choose the right gift for your lover. Not only lover, but you can also gift anyone who you care, it may be your friends, family members, colleagues, and even your neighbor.
Final thoughts on Valentines background history
I hope, you have read the story of valentines background history. Can you feel the tear dropping sadness of valentine’s Day? Now we all celebrate it with so much happiness, but there was a time when people had to face so many problems to express their love. Oh! what a painful life that was!
Most of all, we should remember on Valentine’s Day that love and loving-kindness are important virtues that everyone should try to keep in mind. If we spread the love to everyone, the world will be more beautiful and peaceful. So we should always focus on positive thoughts of spreading love.
Did you like the Valentines background history? Feel free to share the article with others if you like it.
If you have any thoughts about valentines background history, let me know it by commenting below. Thank you. Be mindful, be happy.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.